Monday, November 20, 2006

Fever Dream

Ok. I'm not gonna lie, I'm fairly certain that I'm feverish. So, if this post seems a bit scattered and nonsensical, that's why.

Now that the pesky disclaimer's out of the way, let's get down to business! First, I realized today that my cats are now completely incapable of surviving in the wild. Not that I was about to drop them alone in the woods somehwere with only a book of matches and a tarp like they do with those super-rugged survival people or anything. But look at Mittens! Lolling about with her vulnerable belly exposed with a devil-may-care attitude. It's like they've turned into dodo birds, with no concept of fear or understanding that predators could be after them. If only we could all be so lucky, right?


I, on the other hand, am totally swamped with work. and when I say swamped, I mean swamped! I currently have four, count 'em, four projects in the works. I'm designing what will turn into my master's thesis, working on a qualitative data set with my advisor, designing a correlational study with another professor for a book chapter (yay! I'll finally have something real on my CV!), and finally, trying to pull together a couple of studies to beef up my undregraduate honors thesis and make it possibly publishable. We'll see how that goes. So, basically, all the stress and constant pressure has me feeling and looking like this picture: all bug-eyed and confused. I'm going to visit my friend in Chicago for Thanksgiving, and I'm determined to finish all the work than needs to be done by next week today and tomorrow so that all I have to do this weekend is knit, eat turkey, and sleep. Rest and recharge, if you will.


Of course, I know that the few of you out there reading this blog probably weren't attracted by the almost-psychologist part as you were the fiber-arts part. Well, last night, I cracked under the pressure mentioned above and rebelliously refused to do any sort of academic work and instead knitted this nifty little case for my fancy new digital camera. I used a little bit of pink and black Lopi yarn I had lying around and worked it in the slip-stitch pattern I used for Sam's bag. This was actually a very practical thing to make because the camera's been laying on the coffee table and the cats keep playing with the little string/handle thing and pulling it onto the floor (which, thank god, is carpeted.....but still).




The picture on the left is the yarn for the projects I have yet to knit into people's Christmas presents. I was going to include a picture of all the yarn I have that's slated for projects only for me, but I just bought some more online, and I'll wait to take it until it's arrived. The big gray mass is Henry's Attic Alpaca Tweed that will be made into a matching scarf and mittens set for my boyfriend (although it is very likely that he won't get the entire set until his birthday in February). The bright green Malabrigo yarn underneath it is going to be made into a hat for him. The white and black Lopi to the left of the alpaca will turn into a bag for Mandy, Sam's sister. The black ball and skein (Cash Iroha) and the purple skeins (Artyarns Supermerino) just above it at the bottom of the picture will be made into armwarmers for my exiled friends. The picture on the right is a closeup of the Supermerino. It's gorgeous! All purple with subtley shifting shades. I think I'll miss it when it's gone. Hopefully some of this will be converted into wearable objects by the time I get back from Chicago.

No comments: