Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Surprise FO: One Skein Wonder

Look what I made on the sly:



(click for bigger)

I know it's crafty (oops! no pun intended) to have made this entire thing without blogging about it once. Mostly it didn't get blogged about due to bad timing and it's inherent quickness. I started it the day before we left to go to the beach (you know, the beach house with no internet access) and finished it on the drive there.

Yarn - Now, this yarn is something special. It's handpainted, handspun yarn from Perchance to Knit in the Summer Heat colorway (100% South African wool, about 100g but I can't remember the yardage). The colors are so rich! It moves from a really bright, almost neon, yellow to a super-saturated pinkish red. My favorite thing about the yarn is the orange creamsicle color where the yellow changes to red. Here's a closeup of it's yummy goodness.

I've had this yarn for awhile and I've been sitting on it waiting for a really good project that would show it off. It ranges from lace to sportweight, so I considered socks but then thought it might be too nice to go on my feet. Even though I do love socks. I settled on this because there was just enough yarn to make it and the stockinette would show it off so well.

Funny story, though, I actually bought this yarn twice. It was listed on Kpixie and I bought last fall as an impulse buy. I got an email back saying they couldn't find it anywhere and that I could buy whatever I wanted instead. And then, a few months later, I was surfing the site and it had been found and relisted, so I snapped it up before anyone else could.

Oh yeah. The edging is about 20g of black Noro cash iroha (40% silk, 30% lambswool, 20% cashmere & 10% nylon) I had leftover from these armwarmers I made for my friend Jennie.

Needles - 29" Inox size 4 circulars

Pattern - the One Skein Wonder from Glampyre. I do seem to be knitting a lot of her stuff lately. I wasn't totally convinced that I would wear the teensy cap-sleeved version (Jon joked that everyone needs a toasty wool tattoo cover-up for the summer), so I wanted to eke out longer sleeves if possible, hence the black edging. Aside from that, and adjustments for a tighter gauge, I basically followed the pattern as written.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, especially the longer sleeves. I am seriously considering picking up another skein of the cash iroha and turning it into a modified version of the two-tone shrug from Fitted Knits. You know, since I'm making just about everything else from the book.

And that concludes the parade of FOs. Next time, I'll have knitting progress to report on.

No comments: