Monday, October 19, 2009

Week of Socks!: Fargyles for Jon

I have seven brand news pairs of socks to present, because I did knit this summer, but through a combination of being away from my computer for extended periods of time, not being able to find my camera, not being able to find my camera's USB cord, laziness, etc., I haven't found the time to post them. But today, while I caught up with last (and increasingly terrible) season of Heroes, I've finally finished them and taken some barely adequate photographs of them. Yay, progress!
______________________________________________________

(tiny tissue box included in photo for scale. Jon's feet are gigantic)

I finished these ages ago, sometime in late April/early May. But, actually wrangling Jon into taking pictures with them on was hard, since he's constantly wandering off or losing them or both. In any case, what this means is that I am (more or less) done with the sock queue! Check it:
  1. Charade socks for Brian
  2. River Rapid socks for Jennie
  3. Vinnland socks for Van (permanent hiatus)
  4. Millicent socks for Sam
  5. Rhiannon socks for Mandy
  6. Spiral boots socks for Leila
  7. Socks for Mom
  8. Socks for Stepdad
  9. Something sockish for Dani (possibly booties?)
  10. Indestructible socks for Jon
Awesome. Finally. Guess this means I need to start a new one, though. Which, since I am now officially out of sock yarn (the Week of Socks flood of productivity ate through my stash), means I need to buy more yarn. Food for thought. But back to the socks:

Yarn - The foot/leg were worked in Peace Fleece DK (70% wool, 30% mohair). It took one skein in violet (Jon specifically requested purple socks). But, as his feet are massive, there wasn't quite enough to go around, so I did the toes/heels with some Knitpicks Swish DK (123 yards, 100% superwash merino) in mist leftover from these. The Peace Fleece, in addition to being a total hippie yarn that tries to end what's left of the cold war, is pleasantly sheep-smelling. Lots of lanolin.

Needles - magic looped 'em on my trusty 40" size 3 addi turbo circulars.

Pattern - Based it off the Fargyle pattern from Knitty, which is a nice mindless sort of pattern if you don't mind all the purling. I made the following modifications:
  • I did them toe-up instead of top-down.
  • I worked an afterthought heel instead of a dutch heel/gusset.
  • The original pattern calls for a 23 stitch wide fargyle pattern, and I increased this to 30 stitches. I just took the logic of the existing pattern and made it bigger for the most part.


No comments: