Tuesday, July 10, 2007

FO: Pomatomus Socks

Presenting the Pomatomus socks!


(click for bigger)

Once again, my deepest apologies for the shoddy photos that were once again taken with the teeny camera on my macbook. They actually are very nice in person. I really, really like them.

Yarn - 2 skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock (75% wool, 25% nylon; 215 yards) in the black Pearl colorway. I luuuuuurve this yarn. I got it way back in January and have been sitting on it while I tried to find the right pattern. My one concern with the yarn is that it's not particularly soft, probably due to the nylon. I'm hoping that it will soften up after a few washes.

Needles - 47" size 0 Addi Turbo circs. These are becoming my go-to sock needles for skinny yarn like this. I have to watch it though, because I'm noticing that my freakishly strong hands (seriously, I have some mad hand strength. I always forget and shake hands way too firmly. I once screwed up a job interview that way because I scared the would-be employer.) are bending the wee needles.

Pattern - Pomatomus by Cookie A. for Knitty. I adore her sock patterns. Like most of her stuff, this pattern has the virtue of looking a lot harder and more intricate than it actually is. The only tricky part is the modified chart for the top of the foot, but I figured it out pretty quickly. Here are the modifications:
  • I worked them toe-up using the figure-8 CO for the reasons described here. I also did the toe-up version of the heel flap (from Widdershins) with the twisted ribbing written into the pattern. Can I just say that ribbed heels rock for people with narrow feet? Cause they totally do. The nice thing about doing these toe-up is that I didn't have to rewrite the lace pattern since it looks the same right side up and upside down. See?
  • Since the yarn kept going and going and going, making the socks taller and taller and taller, I added some calf shaping. I did it by adding and extra repeat of the lace pattern by working an extra YO without an accompanying decrease over 12 rounds, and working the stitches according the pattern. It fits well, but the extra stitches shifted the yarn from striping itself to spiraling.

The red arrows show where I added the extra panel. See what I mean about the spiral?

No comments: