Thursday, October 22, 2009

Week of Socks!: Smockings


(click for bigger)

Like the socks I posted yesterday, this is a pattern I've been toying with for awhile and finally got around to actually fleshing out and knitting up. I think these came out pretty well, too.

Yarn - Claudia Hand Painted (100% wool, 175 yards) fingering weight in Ingrid's Blues. I've actually had this yarn for years, Jon bought it as a Valentine's day present for me awhile back, so it's all special and stuff.

Needles - Magic looped on size 1 Addi Turbos.

Pattern - I wanted to do something that had a little texture and visual interest, but I was afraid that the vibrancy of the colorway would overwhelm something very intricate. I'd been toying with the idea of incorporating smocking into socks for awhile, and it seemed like a good fit. I worked it toe-up (CO 24 sts, increased to 60) with a short-row heel (wrapped all but the center 10 sts).

All the smocking goodness was done on a 20 st-wide panel on the top of the foot/front of the leg. When I was working it, the panel was just done as a rib (p2, k1, p2, k1, p2, k1, p2, k1, p2, k1, p2, k1, p2 with the 5 remaining sts on either side done in stockinette). The sole/back of the leg were worked in plain stockinette, with one set of calf increases (inc 2 at center back every other row 5 times) about 6" up the leg. The cuff was done in about an inch or so of p2, k1 rib.

The smocking itself was done as a finishing technique after the whole thing was all knitted up. I used this as a rough starting point, and it basically entailed threading the leftover yarn up six stitches and wrapping the seventh stitch together with the knit stitch to the immediate right of it. I really like the way it turned out, the closeup above gives you a sense of how it looks unstretched and the top photo is how it looks when you wear it.



No comments: