Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Week of Socks!: Split Cable socks

(click for bigger)

I really really like this pair. I think this might be the highlight of Week of Socks! for me. It's just one of those nice little projects where I love everything about the end product, and I think they'll get a lot of wear this winter.

Yarn - This is from Zeitgeist yarns, and it's lovely. It's super soft (though slightly thicker than I usually use) and the shifting shades of blue are subtle and complicated at once. Really good stuff, I definitely recommend checking out her yarns. And her blog is awesome, too.

Needles - Like I said, it's on the slightly thick side, so I magic looped it on size 2 Addi Turbos.

Pattern - This one I totally made up from scratch. I've been batting around this idea for a good, long while and kept tinkering with it until I had the perfect yarn for it. I worked them toe-up (CO 28 sts, increases are done in 1x1 rib pattern on the top up to 56 sts that eventually feeds into the cable panels, you can see it if you look closely at the photos) with a gusset and a sort-of dutch heel (with the cable pattern worked along the edges and the center part of the heel just knit in regular stockinette with no slipped stitches).

Calf shaping was added by increasing 2 sts at the center back every other row three times when the leg was 6" long and once more when it was 8" long. The cuff is just an inch or so of 1x1 ribbing.

The cables twists on the sides of the foot/heelare simple mirrored braids, and they join when the leg starts into a more complicated 6-stranded cable panel along the outsides of the leg. Eventually, I'll chart it out more thoroughly and post it so I can make more of these bad boys.

No comments: