Sunday, October 25, 2009

Week of Socks!: Baudelaire socks for me

(click for bigger)

Ah, we've reached our week-long excursion into the glorious land of socks. And now you're up to speed on what's been going on knitting-wise with me. Although, I guess I should say that these were finished a couple of weeks ago, which means that they weren't really completed in the summer. But I guess that's neither here not there.

Yarn - Dale of Norway Baby Ull (100% wool, 180 yards) in firetruck red. I bought 2 skeins of this and one skein of pale gray to make a second pair of red herring socks, but I just never could bring myself to attempt the color knitting again. It's a nice, soft, squashy yarn.

Needles - Magic looped on size 1 Addi Turbos.

Pattern - Baudelaire from Knitty, which I've done before for sockapolooza. But this time, I shifted the pattern so it's spread across the outer edge of the foot/side of the leg. And, as promised in the spiral socks post, I mirrored them for extra-cool symmetricalness. Besides this obvious deviation from the original pattern, I made the following modifications:
  • I worked it toe-up and did a short-row heel.
  • I add calf shaping on the inside leg about 4" into the leg.
  • I wanted the lace section to neatly divide the sock in half, so I slightly altered the pattern to be 13 sts wide.

No comments: