Saturday, March 24, 2007

FO: Squiggle Hat!

It's been a long week, full of terrible group projects and much whining about said terrible group projects. It's ok, though, because I finished my hat!




(click for bigger)

This hat was just what I needed this week. It was quick and fun to knit, and I felt a hefty sense of accomplishment after I finished it. I had two group projects going this week, and both groups had one of those super-ambitious high-strung types in BOTH of my groups (I, contrary to popular belief, am not particularly ambitious or high strung). In both groups, said high-strung person took over and got all crazy, resulting in group in-fighting the likes of which I haven't seen since junior high. For serious, guys, one of them literally highjacked our group paper and emailed the rest of the group the night before it was due saying that she had done more than her fair share of the work. So I emailed back offering to finish writing/pasting the paper together.....so she dropped out of conflict for several hours. I ended up on the phone with Jon (who was delivering tasty pizzas) ranting about how ridiculous and immature said group member was and pacing back and forth in the apartment. Anyway, after all was said ad done, I'd fume and knit a few rows on this hat and feel better.
Yarn - EA Yarns Andes (100% wool, 165 yards) in color 19 (orange/blue). I wasn't sure how hat-friendly this yarn was at first, but it actually ended up being pretty soft and surprisingly not scratchy. And I still love the colors.
Needles - 16" el cheapo bamboo size 7 circulars and a set of 4 bamboo size 7 dpns for the crown decreases
Pattern - my own! A skeletal pseudo-pattern follows below:

Squiggle Hat
Band
- CO 90 sts and work in [p1, k1, p1] to end for 3 rounds
- round 4: work all knit stitches as LEFT TWIST
- round 5: work all stitches in pattern
- repeat these two rounds once more
- round 8: work all knit stitches as RIGHT TWIST
- round 9: work all stitches in pattern
- repeat these two rounds 3x
- repeat rounds 4 & 5 two times
- work 3 rounds of [p1, k1, p1] to end

Slouchification
round 1: [k9, m1] to end {10 ts increased}
round 2: k plain
round 3: [k10,m1] to end {10 sts increased}
round 4: k plain
round 5: [k11, m1] to end {10 sts increased}

knit plain until hat masures 7"

Crown Decreases
r 1: [k13, k2tog] to end {112 sts}
r2: [k12, k2tog] to end {104 sts}
r3: [k11, k2tog] to end {96 sts}
r4: [k10, k2tog] to end {88 sts}
r5: [k9, k2tog] to end {80 sts}
r6: [k8, k2tog] to end {72 sts}
r7: [k7, k2tog] to end {64 sts}
r8: [k6, k2tog] to end {56 sts}
r9: [k5, k2tog] to end {48 sts}
r10: [k4, k2tog] to end {40 sts}
r11: [k3, k2tog] to end {32 sts}
r12: [k2, k2tg] to end {24 sts}
r13: [k1, k2tog] to end {16 sts}
r14: [k2tog] to end {8 sts}

weave yarn through and pull tight


And that's all there was to it.

PS - Jon wants me to tell you that there are SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES on Sprite cans! Yeah, I don't know where he's going with that, either

2 comments:

The Author said...

You scoff, but don't be fooled by Sprite's delicious Lemon-Lime flavor, it's really a tool of the Mole People and the Trilateral commission to abolish knitting in favor of crochet--don't give up the fight for quality-knitted, slouchy hats!!

Anonymous said...

hmm... I don't know if I agree with jon's statement about the purpose of sprite's subliminal messages... but THEY ARE THERE!!!!!!