Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Week of Socks!: More Jaywalkers for me


This is the second pair of jaywalkers I've made for myself (here's the first pair). I finished these sometime in May, I believe, and rather like the way they turned out.

Yarn - Spunky Eclectic1 skinny superwash sock yarn in Dinah. This yarn was a total impulse purchase and when it arrived in the mail I wasn't really sure what to do with it. I wasn't sure I really liked the colors after all and it looked all wrong when I rolled it into a ball. But I actually really like the way it knit up. Sometimes yarn surprises you that way - there are some skeins I've bought that are just ridiculously beautiful int heir natural skein-ish state and then look kind of wonky in actual knitted garment form, and this one was quite pleasantly the reverse.

Needles - It was indeed quite skinny sock yarn, and I believe I magic looped it on 47" size 0 Addi Turbos.

Pattern - The ubiquitous Jaywalker pattern. I mean, it's ubiquitous for a reason, right? It's easy and it looks great with crazy hand-dyed yarn like this. I made these mods (and they are about the same as always):
  • Went toe-up this time instead of top down.
  • I worked a short-row heal instead of doing the whole gusset song and dance. This helped nicely to keep the yarn from pooling, actually.
_________________________
1I totally joined the Spunky Eclectic sock yarn club, so I guess that whole out-of-yarn-thing is now officially being rectified.

No comments: