Friday, October 23, 2009

Week of Socks!: Spiral socks for me

(click for bigger. Also, note that though you can't actually see it in full, the leg of the socks is about mid-calf, so about 10" long. Yeah, should have taken better pictures, my apologies.)

I've made socks like this before - once for my mom, and once for my sister. And I've made awesome spirally hats (a set of them from the same awesome yarn, one for me, and one for Dani). But, until now, I've never made myself spirally socks. This terrible oversight has now been rectified and my life can go on.

Yarn - Yarn Botanika Radiance (merino/tencel blend, 400 yards) in jewel. This yarn is odd. It's lovely, with a really fluid drape and a nice shine to it, but it's not terribly soft. Not scratchy, just a bit stiff. I think it might be due to an overabundance of dye or something, it might soften with a couple of washes. But a very pretty dye job nonetheless.

Needles - Magic looped on size 1 Addi Turbos.

Pattern - A pretty simple travelling yarnover stitch loosely drawn from the spiral boot socks pattern. I followed the pattern for my sister's socks, but not my moms, and this one I did mostly by sight but used the pattern's trick of using the yarnovers to incorporate calf shaping. Basically, that means that every inch or so I didn't decrease once when I added a yarnover (which if you look really, really closely, you can spot).

I worked them toe-up, casting on 28 sts and increasing to 60. A short-row heel was worked with all sts wrapped but the center 10. The cuff was about an 1.5 inches of 1x1 rib. The actual spiral pattern was worked starting with 8 sts between YOs, and eventually went up to 12 sts between YOs. And, last but not least, I mirrored the direction the spirals travel in because I love symmetry (stay tuned for more symmetry!).

No comments: