Saturday, May 22, 2010

FO: Excequered hat






I love this hat! I made this hat just before Christmas and wore the hell out of it all through winter. I think it's my favorite hat I've ever made.

Yarn - gray and black DK weight Checkheaton country 8 play

Needle - size 3 circulars

Pattern - I made this up as I went along, mostly. I worked it bottom up, doubleknitting in a checkered pattern. At the crown, where the decreases started, I broke up the pattern (a la this scarf i'll never, ever finish) and bound off. Then, I picked up about a third of the stitches along the front bottom edge and made a short row pocket for the brim (I used the brim cut out and trimmed down from an old, cheap hat I bought at Forever 21 a million years ago). I think what I like best is that it's very nearly reversible.

So, that's it. You're up to speed. I also made a sweater and a half for myself that I may never wear (I have a problem with this. I'm trying to be much more realistic in terms of making the kinds of sweaters I actually where instead of the kinds of sweaters I wish I wore because I like making them) and a pair of mittens for Dani which were excellent but which were given to her before I took pictures of them.

No comments: