Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Socks - homeopathic remedy?

I'm still sick. I'm pretty sure it's more of a flu-ish thing than a cold because I've been running a fever for the last few days, and I'm puffy and sore, but not coughing and sneezing. Hopefully it'll blow over soon. Want to know something funny? Our thermometer is really wonky, so I don't really know how high my fever is. What we have to do is let me take my temperature, then have Jon take his own temperature, figure out the difference and then add another degree (I have a lower-than-average normal temperature of about 97.5 degrees). Today, I was getting 97.9, he was getting 94.something, which means I was running 3-4 degrees above normal. But the real indicator that I had a fever was that this miniscule amount of math was too much for me this morning.

I've been amusing myself today by watching Grease 2 from the floor (at some point while napping I rolled off the couch....and just kind of stayed down there underneath the coffee table. I get wacky when I'm sick (case in point, the super-long parenthetical asides, with other parenthetical asides nestled within them). One time, I wanted to run around outside in the snow shoeless because I felt hot. Jon didn't let me because he's responsible and patient. ) and starting a new pair of socks for myself. I'd planned on starting a hat, but it would have required rolling a skein into a ball, and the sock yarn was already prepped and ready to go. I chose the Here There Be Dragons pattern, and I'm already through with the leg and heel of the first one.
I really like them so far. Here's a closeup of the scale motif:


And yesterday, I finished the mittens!

Aren't they pretty? And just in time, too, since it's still wicked cold here. These puppies took no time to make at all, and were actually perfect sick kniting since there was minimal shaping and it was all stockinette in the round.
Yarn - Henry's Attic superfine Peruvian alpaca tweed (100% alpaca, about 600 yards per 1/2 pound skein) in color 109. I knit the mittens with two strands held together throughout to make them warmer and get a bigger gauge, since Jon's basically got catcher's mitts for hands.
Needles - set of 4 bamboo size 7 dpns. A fifth needle would've made things a bit easier, but I lost it, so whatever.
Pattern - Peekaboo mittens from the latest issue of Magknits. I followed the gist of the pattern more than the pattern itself and sized it according to a mateless mitten I'd made for Jon a year or so ago. The only major modification made was I substituted an afterthought thumb for the thumb with a gusset the pattern specifies. And I just did that because it made the mittens even easier.

2 comments:

The Author said...

Man, Grease 2 is such a fantastic movie! It's up there with Episode I in terms of awesome se/prequels. The only thing that could have really improved the film was more cat vomit yarn.

Unknown said...

I've just been searching around for people who've made my Peekaboo Mittens, and I came across your site! Your Peekaboos look great - and I'm glad you altered the pattern to fit your preferences - my goal was to design something universal that could be altered without much head-scratching and math (boo!), and it looks like yours were a great success. I just started a knitalong, please join if you knit another pair, or just join and share your pattern edits!