Tuesday, January 16, 2007

2 1/2 FO's

Check it out:
Jon's mom's scarf is done! We went to see Children of Men last Saturday (which I absolutely loved, by the by) and I finished it in the theater. Born in a movie, bound off in a movie, full cycle.
Yarn - 2 skeins of Patons Upcountry (100% wool, 78 yards) in deep steel blue. As a rule of thumb, I think that a good length for a scarf is roughly the height of the person who'll be wearing it. I used up both skeins with nothing left over, and it ended up being about 5' long (just a wee bit shorter than myself). As a general rule, I think that a good scarf length is roughly the height of the itended recipient (golden ration and all that), and Jon's mom is only a few inches taller than me, so it worked out ok.

Pattern - My own. Though, it's not exactly innovative or groundbreaking. It's a modified 2 x 2 rib with plain knit ribs alternating with twisted minicables. A left twist was made by knitting through the back of the second stitch, then knitting through the front of the first stitch, then pulling both of the needle together. A right twist (obviously enough) was made by knitting through the front of the second stitch, then through the back of the first stitch, and then pulling both off the needles together. So, I cast on 20 stitches and knit every row like this:
k2, p2, left twist, p2, k2, p2, right twist, p2, k2, p2

Needles - size 11 bamboo straights

In other news, I've completed one Bayerische sock and started the second:
I'm very attached to the completed one and have taken to wearing it around the apartment with my other foot bare and lonely.

And, I didn't post about this earlier, but guess what came in the mail last week...
....more sock yarn and knitting books! I got freaked out about the start of the new semester abd splurged. The take? Folk Shawls, the Vogue stitchionary of cables, 2 skeins of artyarns ultramerino 8 in various shades of red, 2 skeins lorna's laces in black pearl, 3 skeins of artyarns supermerino in various shades of green, and a skein of dk weight alpaca silk. Oh, retail therapy, how I love thee!

2 comments:

The Author said...

A fine catch, and a damn beautiful scarf! I'm sure my mom will absolutely adore it: you have impeccable taste as usual. Also, wherever did you find such a splendid chair to use as a backdrop: verily, only a tool of prodigous proportions would disgard such a fine piece of furniture.

Aye captain!

Anonymous said...

I adore it! What a lovely color, and I can't wait to wear it.

And I've really enjoyed reading the blog, as well. I'm almost inspired to do more knitting, maybe try something a little more challenging than a scarf, like socks.

I have to agree about the chair.