Tuesday, January 22, 2008

FO: Cheery Freemason Gloves

These have been done for awhile.


(click for bigger)

And if you look closely at some of those pictures, you can see that they've also been broken in...by my cat, Mittens, who obsessively licks knitted objects until they get all fuzzy and puffed up. Anyway, I love them! It's currently too cold here to wear them, but they're perfect for late fall/early spring temperatures.

Yarn - Mama Llama DK (100% wool, 275 yards) in Day. I love this yarn! I've considered using it for a whole lot of different things - a cool motif in a yoked sweater, for instance, or maybe a scarf, perhaps a nifty headband - but settled on gloves, I think, because they're small (thus not overwhelming, because damn this yarn is bright) but show off the coolness of the yarn to good effect.

Needles - 29" size 4 Inox circulars. I'm having a weird dilemma these days when I have to choose between addis and inox greys - the inoxes are awesomely pointy (well, frankly, that's awesome for about a minute, but then gets kind of painful because I have a weird habit of pushing the tip of the needle around with my opposing index finger...but you know what I mean), but have a terrible cable, and the addis have that smooth-not-at-all-twisty cable, but are dull which makes intricate stitch manipulation hard. Life is hard.

Pattern - like the ampergrabbers that inspired these, I kinda made it up as I went along. I knit them from the wrist up, starting with about 40 sts. The pattern is based off a basic 2x2 rib, with the cool eye thingy in the middle (hence the freemason reference) made by increasing and decreasing in the rib pattern, like in Thelonius. I worked a gusset for the thumb.

ooooh! creepy masonish eye is watching you!

Stay tuned for the VERY LAST FO of 2008! It's worth the wait, promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

those are AWESOME! I never got the fingers right on gloves...