Thursday, May 24, 2007

FO: Ampergrabbers

The ampergrabbers are done!



(click for bigger)


And just in time, too. I finished them last night and wove in all the ends this morning. I was running out of time because I'm leaving tomorrow, and I certainly didn't want to leave my sister stranded with just one glove, looking all King of Pop-ish, you know? You just don't do that to someone you love. Anyway, they're done, they look cute, and she loves them! Yay! Everyone's a winner!

Yarn - 1 skein of Mama Llama self-striping sock yarn (100% superwash wool, 430 yards) in the Earth colorway from Kpixie. It's a colorway that's really grown on me. My first imprssion was that it was a bit too Christmas-y with all the red and green. My next impression was that it was too brown. But, actually, that burnt orange color is a deeply saturated gold. And the red and geen are these lovely jewel tones. The yarn has a lot of lustern and depth to it.

Needles - set of 5 size 1 bamboo dpns. I think they're clover, but I'm not sure. I was a bit worried about using them because I have freakishly strng man-hands that tend to bend flimsy wooden needles. They're all a little bowed out now, but still usable.

Pattern - I knit them cuff to fingers and made it up as I went along. I don't even have notes! Basically, I ripped of the Jaywalker pattern for the chevron and ripped off the ribbing on the sides from the Ampersand pattern. I made the thumb gusset by scanning the directions from the peeakboo mittens pattern, and increased in a 1x1 rib. For the fingers, I used 1/4 of the existing stitches plus 3 that I cast on over the gaps (I picked up stitches from the cast on edge for the adjacent finger).


Seriously, the construction is super-simple and intuitive. I did most of the knitting in movie theaters and on planes, so it's totally zombie-riffic. I'm pretty sure I'll end up making a bunch more pairs for me and everyone I know.


PS - see the flower in the top picture? That's a magnolia from the tree outside our living room window. I adore magonlias and they're one of the things I miss most about Texas. Sadly, they're not yet in full bloom, and I'm leaving before I'll get to see them in all their splendor.

No comments: