Monday, April 16, 2007

Back to Square One

The thing about Thelonious is, it's supposed to look like this....


See the lace panels down the sides? I love them! I saw the sock and thought to myself "Well, that's the perfect pattern for my navy blue sock yarn! The interplay of positive and negative space is ideal to mitigate the heaviness of the deep blue!"

Well, ok, it actually went something like this, "Oh, pretty! It'll be pretty in dark blue, too! Yay for socks!"

Anyway, my Thelonious looks like this:


Notice something missing? Yep, those lovely lace panels. Now, it's not that I didn't knit them, I did, but they just....aren't....showing up. Sigh. I kept thinking that they'd pop out for sure further up the sock, where it would be pulled taught by my curvaceous calves. No such luck. I think the issue is that the yarn is partially mohair and is being knit at a fairly dense gauge. Which means that it's just too sticky to really show off yarnovers. Damn. I thought about re-knitting it on larger needles, but I'm already making the smallest size. So no go that way either. Double damn!

Uncertain of how to proceed, I tried a hunch:


Wee cables. There they are, clear as day. The good news is, I've found a motif that pops sufficiently against the yarn and is the same stitch width as the lace panels (hooray to minimal chart rewriting!). The bad news is that the lovely sock-in-progress I showed you yesterday is headed for the frog pond. I wish I could overlook the lacelessness of my sock, but I can't. Especially with compelling evidence that the yarn works so well as a cable.

Oh well. Such is life. Meanwhile, Mittens and Jon are undisturbed by my sock troubles.

No comments: