Thursday, August 07, 2008

Proper eyewear = spike in awesome knitting content?

Only time will tell, but I'll go out on a limb and say, probably! So here's what happened: a few months ago, Jon broke my glasses (this has happened to several pairs already, but these were really awesomely sturdy glasses - they fell off a giant statue unscathed once! - so I had high hopes) which meant I had to start wearing my backup pair. What I didn't realize was that my backup pair sucked some major ass.

First, the glasses themselves didn't fit right at all. I have kind of a tiny head and the glasses fit weirdly about the ears and would fall off if I looked down. This lead to slight feelings of vertigo and much panicky clutching at handrails while walking down stairs like an old lady. But that's just a slightly annoying thing. The real problem was that the glasses, which had the same prescription as the ones that fell prey to Jon's clumsiness, were definitely not strong enough. I couldn't read powerpoints from the back of classrooms or recognize people on the street (which may or may not have lead to some awkwardness here and there). Lately, Jon and I have started playing this game whenever we're driving around:
Jon: "I can read that sign now, tell me when you can, ok?"

......10 second pause.......

Me: "Ok, I can kind of read it now."

Jon: "Oh man. That's sad."
Obviously, it's been clear for awhile that I need new glasses. Stands to reason, since I haven't actually gotten an eye exam since before I studied abroad which was...oh...about 5 years ago. I bet you're probably shaking your head right about now, tsk tsk-ing at me for not getting it done sooner. Well, for awhile it really wasn't that big a problem, more of a minor annoyance, and besides I'm not exactly rolling in cash what with being a grad student and all.

Then I won the NSF (YEAH!! WHAT, WHAT!!), which will effectively double what I'll be making next semester. Perfect, I thought, I will just get through the summer and get new glasses with my first paycheck! But then the eye strain from wearing crappy out-of-date glasses that fall off all the time started giving me migraines, so I caved. See?1

These do not fall off. Oh, happy day!

HELP! The giant grandma/hipster prescription sunglasses are eating my face!

In any case, having appropriate corrective lenses should allow me to fitter, happier, more productive2 knitter - or at least one with fewer headaches. I'm already making wicked fast progress on Sam's knee socks.
_________________________________________________________________
1The cute little rectangular black ones? Yeah those will eventually be bumped down to backup pair status. I totally splurged on a fantastic (and substantially more expensive) pair with better quality lenses, but they are backordered and won't arrive for awhile. I figured I'd earned it, what with being a badass researcher who won an NSF and all. Besides, it's close enough to my birthday to claim them as my birthday present to myself. Ah....rationalizations abound!

2The other really exciting thing that happened recently? I got to go see Radiohead!! I'm a massive Radiohead fan and I've never gotten the chance to see them (Jon has, though, and has been known to go on and on about how awesome they are live). We had to drive 3 hours for it, and I couldn't make out a damn thing happening on stage since I was still wearing the old crappy glasses, but it was amazing nonetheless. They totally played all the songs I wanted them too! It's as if the band and I had a weird half-blind mind-meld or something. Seriously, though, I was kind of a giddy little schoolgirl about the entire thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omg I thought you'd stopped updating this! But then I checked adn you got new glasses AND the opportunity to see Radiohead!!! Awesome on both counts. Can't wait to see you guys Thursday!!

Tamarfains